One of the hardest things I do as a grown-up is budget. And I don’t do it well!
As it turns out, I like to spend A LOT of money on food. What can I say? I like to eat!
I didn’t want my love of food to suffer just so I could save a few bucks, so I decided to try a new approach. For the first time in my life, I created a meal plan. … And I’m sticking to it!
At the beginning of each pay period, I sit down and select a menu for the whole pay period. I make a list of what food I need, check the ads and then head to the store. So far, I’m cutting my grocery bill in half. It doesn’t like much, but it’s going a long way!
But that’s not what I meant to write about!
I’m taking this new meal plan as an opportunity to try new recipes. Now that the weather has taken an unpleasant dive toward winter temperatures, I developed a craving for chicken pot pie. Only one problem, I have no idea how to make a pie crust.
Oh, and I’m lazy.
Maybe not so much lazy as short on time…
So! I did some Googling and threw together my lazy chicken pot pie recipe.
Chicken Pot Pie
2-3 large chicken breasts
1 can of Veg-All mixed vegetables
1 10 3/4 oz can of cream of chicken soup
2 Pillsbury pie crust (I used the refrigerated pie crusts.)
1. Place the frozen chicken in a crock pot with 1.5 – 2 cups of water. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place one of the pie crusts in the pie pan and bake 10 minutes.
3. While the pie crust is baking, shred the cooked chicken and mix with the drained vegetables and cream of chicken soup. Add pepper to taste.
4. After the 10 minutes of baking, remove the pie crust from the oven. Pour the filling mix into the crust and place the second crust on top. Cut holes into the pie crust with a butter knife.
5. Return the pie to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
6. Remove the pie and let it cool a few minutes before serving.
I don’t remember eating a lot of chicken pot pies growing up, so I don’t have a strong base line for comparison. … But I’ll definitely be making this again!
What’s your favorite chicken pot pie recipe?